Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Studying Abroad in London: A Date and A Party

Yet another week has flown by and what a jam-packed one it was, especially the last few days of the week. I definitely feel at home here, especially after these past couple of weeks. I say it in every post, but I never want to leave. 

Anyway, so many events happened this week. There were excursions, sight-seeing, dates, amazing food, parties, etc so let's just go ahead and dive straight in. 

October 21, 2019

Monday, as usual, started out pretty slow. When I woke up I didn't really do anything all morning other than sleep in and relax a bit before heading to lunch with Isaac. Then I had my lecture from 3-6 and I was pretty bored during it. I was having a bit of anxiety about the class by the end of the lecture, but I've figured some things out since then and think I have things mostly set.

After that, I made cheesy potatoes for dinner and then tried to be productive while Isaac went to soccer practice (it's called football here, though). I didn't get as much done as I wanted to, though I did shower, finalize my Halloween costume, and do some Instagram catch-up. Once he got back we ordered pizza and ended up staying up until 2:30 AM watching Psych so that we could be sure he didn't have a brain injury before we went to sleep. 

October 22, 2019

I had another sleep-in and literally did nothing until I met Isaac for lunch. After that, I picked up some packages for class and my Halloween costume and then worked on a blog post. I'd say that Tuesday wasn't an overall interesting or productive day, but it was relaxing before a long stretch of eventful days.

October 23, 2019

St. James Park
Westminster Abbey
I had another class excursion on Wednesday. This one took us into Central London to follow in the steps of Mrs. Dalloway, a character created by Virginia Woolf. We started in Westminster near Big Ben and walked past Westminster Abbey on our way to Dean's Yard where Dalloway supposedly lived in the novel.

After that, we headed through St. James park which was absolutely stunning with all the fall colors hitting it. We were passing by Buckingham Palace and managed to catch some sort of ceremonial march that was going on. It was actually super cool to see. Then we ventured up Bond Street and saw all the super expensive shops and designer stores before splitting off for the day.
Bond Street

I ended up heading back to campus because I was exhausted from the Dramamine induced drowsiness. I got lunch and ended up napping until Isaac got back from his football game. We ended up just ordering kebabs and food to eat while we watched Psych before bed.

October 24, 2019

Thursday was a big day. Isaac and I woke up semi-early but spent most of the morning in bed until we had to leave for Central London. We picked up lunch on our way to the bus stop and then headed over to the Natural History Museum.

It started raining as we got there which was a bit unfortunate but we didn't let it bring down our mood for ice skating. If anything, it made the day even more memorable. I was alright at ice skating--definitely better than the last time I went--but I really enjoyed just watching Isaac show off how well he could skate. 

After skating, we headed up to the cafe where we got some pictures from when we were skating and then some hot chocolate to warm up a bit. The rain definitely made us cold so the hot chocolate was really nice. After that, it was back out into the rain (though it had slowed down a bit) to queue up for the Natural History Museum.

I definitely think this is my favorite museum I've been to. I much prefer museums about history and science over art (though I do still like art) and the Natural History Museum was full of cool exhibits--mainly dinosaurs. I loved the dinosaurs part but I also loved the rocks section because, well, rocks.

Our personalized M&Ms
Then we headed over to Piccadilly to Waterstones which was the largest bookstore I've been in in my entire life. I loved it. It was five floors full of books. I wish they'd had the Russian Bookstore still, as that was why I wanted to go there, but I was obviously able to enjoy it anyway.

Up next we walked through Piccadilly and decided to go into the M&M World on a whim. It was so colorful and a bit overwhelming, but we did get M&Ms with our faces printed on them! Talk about extra. After leaving M&M world, we went to a steak restaurant for dinner and it was amazing. We got a camembert dish for an appetizer and it's probably the best camembert I've ever had. Then came the steak. Oh mama was it amazing steak.

After that, we walked a bit and ended up in Trafalgar Square after dark. It was cool to see it at night when the buildings and fountains were all lit up different colors. We picked up some snacks for later before heading over to Tower Bridge so I could check it off my bucket list before catching the tube back to campus.

When we got back to campus we dug into some of our snacks and turned on The Martian (inspired by our trip to the Natural History Museum) and just watched that before heading to bed.

October 25, 2019

It was a lazy morning Friday where we slept-in followed by lunch at the diner. After that, I spent a few hours being productive while Isaac took a nap. The real fun didn't begin until after dinner when the drinking games began.

I think that's the most I've ever drank in one go? I didn't get drunk but I did get tipsy before we went to the Bop (campus-hosted dance night). It was really fun dancing and just hanging out with my flatmates.

After getting back, Isaac and I made a frozen pizza and I Facetimed my mom and niece. It was fun getting to talk to them and see my niece after not having spoken for a while. After that we just went to bed. 

October 26, 2019

Saturday was also a busy day. We slept in for a bit before Isaac had training to go do. I was going to be productive while he was at that but I ended up accidentally falling back to sleep and sleeping through the entire time since I'd been up late the night before. I did meet Isaac for lunch at the library cafe before we headed to Londis to get some snacks and other stuff for the Halloween party.

I was semi-productive once we got back. I could have been more productive but I did get some things done that afternoon. That evening, Isaac and I went to pick up two of his friends from the train station before heading into Putney to go to Nandos for dinner. It was a fun meal before we headed back to campus to get ready for the Halloween party.

It took me a bit longer than everyone else to get ready since I had more makeup to do. Glitter got absolutely everywhere (and is still everywhere) but I'm proud of how my costume turned out. I ended up going as a pot of gold since Isaac was going as a leprechaun.

The night was fun. My team kicked ass at beer pong not once but twice. Let's just say Americans do it better and leave it at that. After that, a small group of us headed to the other kitchen to play some other drinking games. We played a few classics and also some I'd never heard of that were absolutely hilarious. I think I gained a 6-pack just from how hard I was laughing.

Then we ordered pizza because one of us had a 50% off coupon and we were eating that when security came to shut down the actual party (is it even a real party if security doesn't shut it down?). It was kind of dumb that the party got shut down before midnight because quiet hours weren't until 2 am but whatever. I was tired anyway.

We cleaned up a bit after most of the flat had decided to venture out to find a new party on campus before putting on a movie to watch before bed. 

October 27, 2019

We slept in a little bit on Sunday but not too much before heading into London with Isaac's friend and another flatmate of ours. We took the tube over to St. Paul's Cathedral and had lunch at Wagamamma before going into the cathedral to see the inside. It was quite beautiful but I wish we could have explored even more of it since the only part we could walk around in was the entrance area. We couldn't take pictures of the inside, but I did end up getting some pictures of the outside.
St. Paul's Cathedral

After that we ventured over to the Natural History Museum where we went ice skating again. Seeing as it was sunny and not a weekday, it was a lot busier than when Isaac and I went on Thursday. One of the employees actually recognized us which was funny. But it was a fun time since I had others this time at more of my skill level. I will say I do think I'm getting better at it.

Then we made our way back to campus to hang out a bit in the kitchen with Isaac's friends before he had to take them back to the train station. While he did that, I went with one of our flatmates to grab food from one of the places on campus and brought it back to the flat.

After dinner, Isaac and I watched movies and ate some snacks before heading to bed. 

Another busy week behind me! I have an equally as busy week coming up, however, so definitely stay tuned to see how that goes. I keep thinking things are going to slow down eventually but they never do--and I'm glad! I want to keep enjoying every second of being here because I know in less than two months it's going to end.

For past weekly diaries, check out my study abroad page here.

Thanks for reading!

You can follow my bookstagram here. A brand new giveaway will be posted soon!

To get more awesome content like this post, click the follow button to the right!

I am a "BookishTextDesign" Influencer! Use my code LAUREN10 for a discount off your bookmark purchases! Check out the shop here

Get free worldwide shipping with Book Depository using my affiliate link

No comments:

Post a Comment