Monday, December 23, 2019

Studying Abroad in London: Last Days & An Early Christmas

It's time to wrap-up my second to last week in London! At the time I write this, I'm already home and have been for a few days. But there's still so much I did in the last week and a half abroad and there's plenty for me to talk about. So, without further ado, here we go! 

December 9, 2019

We slept in a little bit on this day before Isaac and I got lunch and I headed to my last tutorial of the semester. It was a chill meeting that went pretty well and was over quickly enough that I got out relatively early in the afternoon. That was it for classes and tutorials! After that, I just had to finish all of my assessments.

When I got back we watched Psych for a while before heading to the library where we stayed most of the night. I had to make serious progress on my biggest assignment of the semester so that I could finish it all on Tuesday. When we finished there, we headed back to the flat, ordered chicken, and watched Psych till late. 

December 10, 2019

We slept in pretty late on Tuesday before going to get lunch and chilling throughout the afternoon. I booked a study room a bit later so we ended up picking up dinner to go and bringing it to the library. We ate that and I got all settled in for the next few hours.

I worked for a long time on my creative writing portfolio. It was comprised of 5 short stories, each of which had to relate to a different excursion outing we did in London. Trying to write all of these in a short period of time and revise them was so draining creatively. I definitely want to explore a few of the pieces further and maybe make them longer, but for now I am burned out on writing. By the time I revised everything, formatted the portfolio, and turned everything in, we'd been at the library for EIGHT hours.

We got back a little after 2 am and watched some more Psych before crashing hard from exhaustion. 

December 11, 2019

Again, Wednesday we slept in before heading to lunch. The lunch that day in the diner turned out to be Christmas roast that was a nice surprise and super yummy for the equivalent of cafeteria food. The British really do know how to do roast dinner.

That afternoon, I went to a farewell celebration with a friend of mine, Sarah, that was put on by the abroad team. We got a swag bag and free food and drinks before the presentation started--I tried mince pie and mulled wine! The pie was alright but the mulled wine was delicious. Then there was just a short presentation and information session about leaving, options for further studies at Roehampton, and general stuff.

After that, Isaac and I chilled for a bit before getting ready to go out. We--Isaac and I with a group of our flatmates--went to Revolution Putney, a bar/restaurant/club that Isaac works at. It was a really fun time. The food was really yummy and we got quite a few drinks to try that were nice.

When we left Revolution, we went to a chicken shop up the street that Isaac and I liked. It sells some of the best chicken I've ever had and I knew I wanted to have it at least one last time before I left London. A bunch of us got it and then brought it back with us. When we got back, we hung out in the kitchen eating and just chilling.

A little later, Isaac and I went back to his room to play some video games since neither of us were really tired. Not to brag or anything, but I definitely kicked his ass. After the video games, we stayed up pretty late just talking before we finally fell  asleep.

December 12, 2019

We slept in late again before Isaac went off to go vote. We got to hang out for a bit before he head to head to work. In the end, I mainly just hung around all day, though I did sit in the kitchen for a bit at dinner time before retiring to my room to get some work done. I revised and turned in my second longest assignment of the semester and then did some other blog-related stuff before I started in on another assignment that I had due on Monday.

December 13, 2019

On Friday, we slept in and then packed up half of my room into one suitcase. Isaac's family was in town so we managed to send it with them, which I'm still grateful for since I didn't have to drag it on two trains.

I'd like to say I worked on my essay when Isaac went to work, but I didn't. I worked on Christmas presents for a bit before falling asleep actually really early and not waking up until Isaac got back hours later. 

December 14, 2019

On Saturday, we both slept in before continuing packing up the rest of my room. Isaac went to work and I just continued working on Christmas presents and packing for a bit. I was really hungry so I ended up ordering food and Skyped my dad while I ate.

When I got off Skype, I was bombarded with hugs from my flatmates. We were all hanging around to say goodbye and there were a lot of tears involved. It didn't hit me at first that this was goodbye, but the tears came when I started to think about the fact I wasn't going to see all of them for a very long time, if ever again.

After the hug fest, I worked a bit on my essay and packing before Isaac got back from work. 

December 15, 2019

We decided not to sleep and instead just finished packing and cleaning before catching the earliest train to Basingstoke since we wanted to be there by noon and it was already 5 AM. I did take a Dramamine-induced nap on the train and then we both napped when we got to Isaac's house.

After our long nap, we hung out with his family for an early Christmas which was really fun. We opened a few presents and then had an absolutely amazingly delicious Christmas dinner (I'm still thinking about it a week later) followed by desert while we played some of the new games that had been opened.

We all vegged out for a bit and ate watched a show I'd never heard of before. Snacks were brought out and were so tasty. Isaac and I both passed out on the couch, though, during that. We ended up going to bed early after that.

I forced myself to only take a short nap, though, before making myself get up and finish my essay that was due then next day. I managed to finish it and turn it in relatively quickly, even though it's not the best essay I've ever written, before reading a bit on my phone and falling asleep. 

Overall, it was a pretty good week. I was mostly focused on my final assessments and packing to leave, but I also had a great last few days with my flatmates. I still have a few more days to talk about in my next (and final) post but I can already say that I'm home and feeling very homesick for London already. What they say about struggling to adjust back to normal life is definitely true. But that's all talk for the next post!

For past weekly diaries, check out my study abroad page here.

Thanks for reading!

You can follow my bookstagram here. A brand new giveaway will be posted soon!

To get more awesome content like this post, click the follow button to the right!

I am a "BookishTextDesign" Influencer! Use my code LAUREN10 for a discount off your bookmark purchases! Check out the shop here

Get free worldwide shipping with Book Depository using my affiliate link

No comments:

Post a Comment